Introducing People To The Life God Intended

Brandon Goff. Lead Pastor of Radiate Church in Columbia, SC. Married to Megan, 2 kids - Brody and Kiley.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Your Greatest Weapon: 3/5

As we look at Ephesians 6 we are looking at the concept that 5 of the 6 pieces of armor discussed in the Armor of God are DEFENSIVE, and only one is OFFENSIVE... why? Because all we need is the SPIRIT to back up and win against our attackers. I wanted to take some time and look at the defensive pieces of armor and discuss why those are so important in our lives. You can see  The Most Recent Post Here!

Today we will look at: Shoes Of Peace (Ephesians 6:15)

I have a thing for shoes. Some people would valiantly say that it's very unhealthy and maybe even need to see a professional for this. (Maybe my friend Dennis Wells at Wellspring could help?) I have a ton of shoes. I have shoes that I only wear with certain shirts, and to be honest, I'm a little embarassed to admit that on here. As we are preparing for our second child, my biggest anxiety is where are all my shoes going to go as I have to clean out my second closet of them! (Ok, maybe I DO have a problem)

I like shoes because they can help me look good or not. They also help take me where I need to go that day. They are protection and comfort. I go no where without shoes, and hopefully you don't either. (No shirt, NO SHOES, no service...come on just put them on!) But I think it's interesting here that Paul connects SHOES to PEACE. What in the world do those two have to do with anything?

Peace is of great value in our lives. Have you ever done something that you knew was the right thing or right decision? And although others may not like it you just feel right and good about it? That's peace! And Jesus promises that as we listen to His TRUTH, and we guard our hearts with RIGHTEOUSNESS peace can play a vital and valuable role in our lives. Peace is the thing that keeps us going, gives us ability to move ahead with boldness, and comforts us. Without peace we are very uneasy about anything we do.

I believe Paul is making a very bold statement here that we should all add to our arsenal as we go through life...everywhere you go...make peace, have peace, work in peace. Peace creates trust and comfort when you're building relationships with people. Don't be a peace-wrecker, be a peace-maker! People want to know if they can trust you, or if complaints and negativity will spring from your mouth. Someone with peace is easy to find because they have a calm security about their life. Things won't rattle them quite as much and issues wont' dictate moods quite as often. When you work in peace you are really working in an attribute of Jesus.

God is the God of peace. He desires to implant peace in our lives. He wishes to let us walk and live in peace. Think of it this way...everywhere you go the sole of your shoe leaves a shoe print. (Even on hard floors...ever seen CSI?) The shoe print Paul is saying we can leave is peace...Peace guards us and takes us places that strife and conflict can't.

Peace will take you to relationships, promotions, and goals that strife and conflict will steer you away from. Peace...it's what will lead your life to a place of power! So lace up your shoes, tie them tight, and walk in peace...because where it will take you might just surprise you!

You may purchase my new book "Shift" HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment