Introducing People To The Life God Intended

Brandon Goff. Lead Pastor of Radiate Church in Columbia, SC. Married to Megan, 2 kids - Brody and Kiley.

Friday, September 21, 2012

The Cost of Excellence

I was going to begin a series of 5 blogs called "Connect" this week about connecting the 5 key areas of your life to the Vine of Christ, but that will have to wait until next week. Instead, today, I want to write on something I've learned through my journey - a forgotten trait in church.

Excellence. Many people scream for excellence, but don't exhibit excellence. Many people improperly label excellence and confuse it with perfection. There is a GREAT difference between the two. I define excellence as doing the absolute best you can, with what you have. In my life, my ministry, and in my staff I regularly talk of/strive for excellence. It's not just because I want people to be drawn to what we do - but primarily because I believe the God I serve deserves it!

I'm a stickler and somewhat overly anal when it comes to the topic of excellence. When I go to a restaurant, I expect good service, good food, and a good price. Why? Because I'm a paying customer, and if they really honored/appreciated my business they would roll out their best for me. Not because I'm Brandon Goff, but because without me they have no business. Therefore, I get frustrated easily when it comes to having to wait a long time for food, service, or greeting. It's not because I'm spoiled or part of the "consumer mentality" it's because I understand that I'm PAYING for their service!

That reminds me of Jesus. I believe that when we open the doors of our church to allow people to gather in our churches and our ministries to connect with God and one another, we have to understand why we are opening up the doors.
1. To glorify and show people the example of God's idea of worship, community, and teaching! When we forget this simple fact, we begin to slip from the opportunity of excellence to the complacency of regularity. If our church's should be the place that connects people the spirit of God, and the opportunity of spiritual things, if our church's are to connect Earth to Kingdom ("...thy kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven...") - where is the excellence? Why aren't we doing the absolute best we can with our facilities? Children's ministries? Sunday services? Guest follow up? Member relationships? Discipleship? Simple: We've forgotten the #1 reason for church!
2. To draw people into an intimate atmosphere to meet Christ, forever! The reality is this: You are NOT going to reach a new generation of people doing things from 6 generations ago. And I am NOT going to reach 3 generations older than I am doing ONLY things from this generation. Why? One word: CONNECTION. But, I'm of a different thought as well. I know we must blend things well, but come on...when you blend and it still is done with lack of excellence, NO ONE will really connect! We must be excellent in our approach to drawing people to Christ. We have a HUGE deficit in this generation of young adults that do not belong to a church...and the reason you see them going to Newspring Church, Elevation Church and such is because they are doing a great job, but because they are intentionally EXCELLENT  at what they do! Don't complain that they don't come to your church when you aren't even putting forth an excellent effort!

Lack of excellence honestly frustrates me greatly! Colossians 3:17 "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." (NASB) In your journey of leadership, Christian living, pastoring, whatever it may be... don't let excellence be an option, make it a priority. Everything you do, every action you make, and every word you speak will represent Jesus to someone...what kind of representation do you want them to have? Your excellence in ministry may be on point or it may need some work. I know I need work in some areas of my life for excellence...either way let's move forward and make our lives and our ministries great examples of Kingdom!

I'm praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment