Introducing People To The Life God Intended

Brandon Goff. Lead Pastor of Radiate Church in Columbia, SC. Married to Megan, 2 kids - Brody and Kiley.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sermon On The Mount part 2

Today I will be continuing my series on the Sermon on the Mount. Today is looking at why the Beattitudes are so important in the first place.

I think it's great to see that the first part of the sermon is a list of "Blessed's"... I've consistently seen this in my life as a series of suggestions to help make things better, and live a good life. Maybe a way to make God smile sometimes. But don't you think it's interesting that "Blessed" is used so much? For instance - the first one is "Blessed are the poor in spirit..." - RIIIGGGHHHTTTT! Because I'm so blessed when I'm poor. (I intend to break each one down in a future post) But, I ran across something interesting in Acts 3... Look at this -

Acts 3:26 "For you first, God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways." (NASB, emphasis mine)

Am I the only one that sees a major correlation here between Matthew 5:3-12 with the Beattitudes and Acts 3:26 in this specific breakdown of Jesus being sent? I mean let's logically think about this:
- In Matthew JESUS begins to explain a bunch of blessings and why you are blessed in those senses. Don't we all want to be blessed? Isn't a blessing something to build our faith and our trust? Isn't a blessing a way God so proudly gives to us? So, Jesus starts out by outlining blessings...
- In Acts it is described one of the incredible reasons for the sacrifice of Jesus Himself. "...TO BLESS YOU..."
Here's the point: JESUS IS THE BLESSING! Therefore, what Jesus was doing was describing characteristics of Himself, that you can see throughout scripture! HOW POWERFUL IS THAT!?

He was teaching His disciples about His character... when we just thought He was giving guidelines/suggestions, He was actually giving us all an opportunity to see into His character by understanding that HE IS BLESSING! Everything about a blessing is encompassed within the very nature of Jesus!

Why is that important? As we read and take the Beattitudes to become practices in our lives - we are taking the ways of BLESSING or JESUS, and becoming even more like Him. This, yet again, shows us the great opportunities and open doors to love a perfect God!

Oh, how I love the chances to love God that is afforded to me. Although I do not deserve them, I am given the chance nonetheless, and for that - I am eternally grateful! Thank you for allowing me to endulge in the very character of the blessing itself - Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment