Introducing People To The Life God Intended

Brandon Goff. Lead Pastor of Radiate Church in Columbia, SC. Married to Megan, 2 kids - Brody and Kiley.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Relentless Mercy

Well, we are 2 Bible studies into Radiate Church and I am seeing God already move in the hearts and lives of those attending. I am so honored to be the pastor of this ministry!

Today I was doing my daily study and it is taking me through Nehemiah again - for the 1000th time! I LOVE NEHEMIAH! But I ran across something that I've read 20-30 times before, I'm sure, and it never quite made sense like it did today. (funny how that happens isn't it?)

In Nehemiah 9 you see where Israel began declaring their past failures/sins. You see the stories of ancestors putting God on the "back burner" and not worrying much about following Him. I began to see an overlying theme in verses 27-31. A principle that is such a powerful thing, yet such an incomprehendable concept.

God stuck beside them, even when they didn't want Him to. See they were using God as a security blanket. They used Him simply as something that would comfort when needed, help when called upon, and restore when asked. He was simply someone that was bigger than they were, and was able to be used when they felt the need. (as we know God doesn't command this type of love for Him... he commands a sacrificial love that requires Him to be above all else.)

Nehemiah 9:31 is where it hit me hard: "Nevertheless, in Your great compassion You did not make an end of them or forsake them, for You are a gracious and compassionate God." (emphasis mine)

Wow... The emphasis added part... I began to think about how I relate to the Israelites in this part, and the other tribes represented. How often do I take advantage of God? How often is He a security blanket to me? When do I sacrifice for Him? I mean REALLY sacrifice!? And to think of the words of Jeremiah - "you did not make an end of them or forsake them." wow!

Why in the world do I deserve for Him to stick with me? I don't... it's his creation that does! I personally don't deserve it... it's the fact that He's perfect, and I'm created in His image - which means that there is greatness and goodness locked up deep down inside of me. And because of that - He doesn't make an end of me! For that matter, if you're reading this - there's a reason He hasn't made an end of you too!

Because YOU MATTER! Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment