Introducing People To The Life God Intended

Brandon Goff. Lead Pastor of Radiate Church in Columbia, SC. Married to Megan, 2 kids - Brody and Kiley.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In Me

I am a fairly hyper active person. Always have been, however, I'm not quite as bad I once was. Just ask my mom - she's got some stories... on second thought, DON'T ask her. But, being hyper active, I always had a pretty active imagination. I would make toys out of anything, and would play cops and robbers, all by myself if the time called for that. And you know what, I was never really at loss for things to do, or places to visit, simply because all of that was inside of me.

So, essentially inside of me was locked up all kinds of possibilities and opportunities. As a kid I never saw anything as impossible. Sometimes things were difficult, they were hard, and maybe I had to work a little harder to make it happen, but impossible was not in my vocabulary. One time I wanted a tree house, and I wanted to build it myself. I never asked my dad or brother or anyone for help. Me and my friend Chad went out into the woods in front of my house, and began to build a tree house out of BRANCHES! Needless to say it was pretty bad. NOT a good idea... the point is this: I wanted it, and it never crossed my mind how difficult it might be. I just knew that's what I wanted/needed and I did what I had to in order to make it happen.

In life, many times we look at the impossibilities instead of the possibilities. We look at the difficulties rather than the opportunities. Sometimes I long to go back to childhood, merely for the reason of knowing that ANYTHING was actually possible. Maybe it was the covering of protection from parents, or something else. Either way, it wasn't a problem, it was an opportunity. As life goes on, many of us need something or want something, or see something that we are "drawn" to or "called" to, but then the problem/difficulty raises up... and our destination becomes nothing more than something to strive for, instead of something to get to.

"Now to Him who is able to do FARE MORE ABUNDANTLY BEYOND all that we ask or think, ACCORDING to the POWER THAT WORKS WITHIN US..." (Ephesians 3:20)

Yes, God can do whatever He wants, and He can do MORE than we could ever even imagine, however, there's a key part of that verse. "...according to the power that works within us..." What is that power?

"But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you." (Romans 8:11)

What works within us is the same power that worked within Christ when He was actually DEFEATING DEATH! Think about it - it says "...who raise Jesus from the dead..." Why was He raised from the dead? TO DEFEAT DEATH! So, the same power that conquered death, is the same power that can conquer our difficulties!

Does that mean that you will get EVERYTHING you want? Well, if your desires are His, sure... if they aren't, then probably not honestly. I'm just encouraged in the fact that if I believe in the power within me and I know what it can accomplish - then God can do above what I've ever even WISHED! When Jesus returned to His hometown, Matthew says "He didn't preform many miracles because of unbelief..."

In order for God to really rock out and do something greater than we can imagine, I must put myself in places to trust in and believe in the power He's placed within me! It's not about me... it's not about what I can't accomplish, but about what He can. And with Him - NOTHING is impossible!

Will you trust the power within you today? If you haven't, will you pray and ask God to help you trust His power?

1 comment:

  1. This is good stuff, bro. Especially something I'm forwarding to my students.

    ReplyDelete